Steph's Rockin Band o' Blogs

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Long time no blog!!

Aaahh Ba de ya - say do you remember
Ba de ya - dancing in September
Ba de ya - never was a cloudy day….

Forgive the Earth Wind & Fire kick. I am quite the spelunker of funk as I mine for information. It is scary how you can find abso-bloody-lutely anything on the Internet. Yet, quite helpful. I was a smart whippersnapper in school, but my god, I would have been a 4.2 GPA if I had access to the web back in the day. Going to the library! Pulling out the… gasp….card catalog!!! Checking books out then reading them, putting paragraphs together on index cards, putting them all together on a typewritten rough draft!!! Then typing it all again! WITH ANNOTATED FOOTNOTES! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

OK, anyway, it’s December, not September… (and now that song will be in your head for a day, don’t deny it), and I am older, as my 36th birthday has come and gone. it’s all downhill from here. WHY! WHY must I be such a vain girl?? It’s more than vanity, it’s my identity…. Youth, that is. Who wants to feel it draining away? Nobody. Admit it.

Well, I chopped my hair off. It’s sassy. It’s the Mia Farrow cut. It’s always worked for me before, but now I miss my long curly locks even though I was beginning to look like Dee Snyder with the ringlets. So, back to the old me. The day I found out I got my new awesome gig, I went out and got it all cut off. (Four days later I got a new car.) I always do things on a grandiose scale. Next, I’ll let it grow in dark again. I am so PSYCHED to begin this next chapter of my life!!!

Enough of my goddamn hair… (but I am thrilled about the job). Today my girlies and I went ice skating downtown at Skate on State, right by the capitol building. I’d forgotten that I am a passable ice skater! I was gliding around like Nancy Kerrigan...no, as Russ said, I am more of Tonya Harding type of gal. We had so much fun; the sun glinted off all the tall buildings and the twinnies zoomed around like little water bugs, with huge grins on their faces and pink cheeks. I couldn’t HANDLE THE CUTENESS! Jordan was totally sulky because I ripped her away from her friends but I bellowed, “YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FAMILY!” Anyway, she snapped out of it. She was pissed because she didn’t have a coat, as usual (kids do not wear coats anymore!!) so I shared mine with her and when I skated she sat down by a space heater on the sidewalk!

Well, the kids got A HAUL for Christmas… as I looked under the tree it was almost embarrassing. Russ is totally into the Gameboy, of course…he snagged it from the girls already. I ordered a few new games off Ebay during my 4am fit of insomnia two nights ago.

Oh—their Nutcracker performance was FAN-TASTIC! Absolutely beautiful, I sobbed like a bullied schoolgirl at their sweetness and light. The show was accompanied by the Cols. Youth Symphony Orchestra…a nice touch. All season we have been playing the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies.

For my b-day eve, Russ and I went out to a fancy-schmancy place for cocks and apps. I downed about 4 Key Lime martinis. Sooooo good!

Mom, Dad and Beth came down for Christmas Eve and we had a spread at Chez Russ and Igor. We cooked turkey, ham, potatoes, etc etc and then we sat up reminiscing and cracking up til 1am. My gift to them was a “memory jar”… long story but, it served its purpose. I mean, we laughed so much my head hurt. Here are some highlights: 1.) Flashing Dad my first training bra in 5th grade cuz I was too embarrassed to tell him but I was just bursting to share, 2.) Mom always marching (or storming, pick which you like) off to take someone to task like that kid who peed off the jungle gym in front of me, or the kid who bit me on the ass; (first grade brought out the perverts, I guess)… 3.) Dad wanting to know if his school had a snow day so he disguised his voice sounding somewhat like Squiggy and said “Ya gonna close?”… Pause… “All right.” 4.) All the “boating incidents” with poor Vince bearing the brunt of it; 5.) Mom getting an afro and driving us around lost in Atlanta on the way to Florida with Grandma... etc etc… there were just so many!

Well, it's a gettin late, have you seen my mates? gonna get my little twerps to bed. Ciao!